And this is the last part for the fourth volume!





*****

I pressed on my forehead.

 

After that, Mai carried out her duties until the event was over. I couldn’t help but think that Mai sure was incredible while she did that. The problem was what happened after.

“The three of us started going out!” was of course clearly heard by Satsuki-san and Kaho-chan, who were right in front of the stage.

 

“THE HECK WAS THAT!”

Kaho-chan attacked me by knocking her forehead against mine.

Mai and Ajisai-san didn’t help me even one bit…for some reason…

Well, I was lucky enough to not receive any strikes from Satsuki san… Nonetheless, she kept staring at me with scary eyes, though… she didn’t say a word to me at all.

 

And so, in my room, while clutching my handheld mirror, I rubbed ointment on my forehead.

Haa…but still, that was seriously amazing…so incredible…”

To think that we’d come to this ending, I hadn’t expected it myself.

The three of us dating? Who on earth was the one to say that? The lowest scum of humans, I wonder?

I let out a huge sigh.

I wanted to ride a time machine and meet the me who had yet to be confessed to by Ajisai-san and tell her, “Yo! In the future, you’re going to two-timing Mai and Ajisai-san, so do your best!” I wondered how she would react. Well, I might get stoned by her though.

That moment—bambam—there was a loud rap on my door. Judging by the idiotic sound, it could only be my lil’ sis.

Yeaash.”

My little sister barged into my room with a box in her arms.

“Big sis, there’s a delivery.”
“Ah!”

I slithered toward my little sister’s feet. Seeing my youkai-like movement, my little sister groaned, “Ugh,” while shifting backward. I snatched the box from my little sister, and then hugged it to my chest.

“Four-kun~~~~~!”
“Eeeeh…..?”
“Welcome home! My Four-kun! I was so lonely. I was helpless without you by my side! I love you, Four-kun!”
“Gross…”

Even the mean remark from my little sister wouldn’t affect me right now. Now that I’d gotten reunited with Four-kun, I was invincible. I was the strong Renako. As if I could be discouraged by something so minor like that. I was determined to do my best after all.

Still, even a warrior needed a good rest. My sister stayed put as I rushed to hook Four-kun up to my TV screen.

“Hm?”
“Seira-chan told me to tell you, ‘See me next time!’ Did something happen?”
“Eh?! Nah, nothing?! I wonder if it’s because I couldn’t properly meet her eyes the last time she visited, so that might be the reason, I guess?! Maybe she told me to make proper eye contact the next time we talk, that kind of thing!”
“Her tone wasn’t implying something like that though…well, whatever. Alright.”

My little sister handed me a picture.

Ah, come to think of it, she’d borrowed this, huh. Lately I’d gotten roped into so many bizarre things, I’d ended up forgetting about the photo.

“Thank you for lending me that. The reaction toward Oozuka Mai’s casual photo was huge.”
“Casual, huh! If it’s that, I have a lot stashed in my phone!”
“Eh, really?! Send everything to me, everything!”
“No way. That’s a pain in the ass! I’m gaming now, so leave, leave!”

I kicked her out. Tch. She left while clicking her tongue. But I bet she would come again to get more photos… that girl, she was stubborn after all.

Now then, I could finally be alone together with Four-kun…ufufu…

I was about to place the photo in my drawer, but I stopped.

“.........”

I tucked the photo inside the picture frame that had been buried in my drawer.

And then I placed it on my desk.

…it was a really good picture.

I relaxed my cheeks into a smile. And then I shared some unnecessary advice with myself.

“...you, from now on, you’re going to be two-timing Mai and Ajisai-san, you see? It’s going to be immensely difficult. But, well, just do your best and don’t give up until the end.”

Of course, the me inside the picture didn’t answer.

Tsun. I flicked her with my finger.

“And then…even if it’s a little bit, you’re going to like yourself more.”

Tack. It was a sound, the sound of the second hand of a clock moving forward. This moment too, would keep repeating over and over.

Oozuka Mai, Sena Ajisai, and Amaori Renako. The picture that had three of them, somehow, even just slightly, seemed like they were equally balanced…or at least that was the impression I had.

*****


Translator's Note:
And we finally reach the finale, was what I thought but it seems like Watanare will have the continuation coming soon. For those who wonder about the afterword by the author, it basically went like this:
  • This is not the end, the story will keep going on from here on! (Emphasized)
  • Considering the pros and cons that definitely would spark after this volume, the author really was troubled when they think of the conclusion from this volume. The reason why the volume 3 went that way was because it would be far more entertaining that way. (Author's honest confession).
  • It is important to keep in mind that Watanare is a romcom between girls, which means that every train of thoughts came from a girl and make those answers possible.
  • Just like what they said in the first volume's afterword, the author loves to write romance between girls, so no matter how many booing they received, it would never make them discouraged in writing stories while keep hoping absolute happiness for the characters.
  • They decided to stop thinking and reread Watanare from the first volume. After that, they thought to leave every decisions and conclusion to Renako who was born within their mind right after they finished rereading the books after many times.
  • The author is fully prepared to take responsibilities of whatever backlash after this volume, so they really let the Renako inside their mind doing everything as she pleased without getting strained by anything.
  • Regarding the character's name choice:
    • Oozuka Mai (王塚真唯) is the queen (女王)
    • Koto Satsuki (琴紗月) is the moon (月)
    • Sena Ajisai (瀬名紫陽花) is the flower (花)
    • Koyanagi Kaho (小柳香穂) is the *redacted* (since it would spoil the story)
    • While Amaori Renako (甘織れな子) is the girl (女の子)
  • It would make the author happy if the readers could comprehend this story about a girl who later fell in love, and then managed to arrive at a single answer.
  • For now they finished one cycle of each member's turns which conclude the initial plan of Watanare's story. Starting from 5th volume is considered as the second season of Watanare.
  • Next story will about Renako who get thrown into disarray after Satsuki's sudden bomb.

And now about the translation, I can't rule out the possibility of stopping my translation and shutting down this blog in the future, so if any of you are interested in taking over of fifth volume, please contact me and I would hand over this series to you.
If by any chance no one shows up, I will keep doing it but on a more, far more slow pace than now. 

Anyway thanks for sticking with this half-assed translation and I'm grateful to readers who supported us. Please buy the copy (LN, manga, or both) to support the author so we could make that anime happen soon. 


Lastly, special thanks for Lyra for the proofreading, you really make this LN translation much more better.  




For more detailed info about the novel, click here

Credit:
TL and everything else: Meatbun
Proofread: Lyra